The Biennial Code of Ethics
THE NAR CODE OF ETHICS REQUIREMENT!
Complete your training by the deadline to avoid suspension of membership!
As many REALTOR® members are already aware, the National Association of REALTORS® has updated their requirements for all REALTOR® members to take their Code of Ethics training. The cycle now runs for every three years (changed from two years). The deadline for the current cycle is the end of the year on December 31, 2021, which means you have until the end of 2021 to complete your Code of Ethics training for this cycle if you have not already done so.
Current Cycle: January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2021
Next Cycle: January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2024
A few tips to consider…
- The cycle has been changed to every three years (up from two years). Previously, the cycle for REALTOR® members was every four years, which allowed for license renewals to cover the cycle period. However, the cycle frequency was changed to three years, so REALTOR® members have a three year period to take their ethics.
- There are a number of ways you can complete it. If your license renewal falls within the cycle period, taking a class to renew will satisfy the requirement. You can take it for free by clicking the link here and choosing the “free” non-CE option or having completed an orientation or ethics class at this or another association. To make sure for certain if you’ve satisfied the requirement, however…
- …you can check to see if you’ve completed the requirement online. By logging into your nar.realtor account, you can click on “My Account,” and then on “Manage Account.” Under the “Other Links” view your education records (NRDS) and look for the following codes: COEC 2019C6, COEC2020C6, or COEC2021C6. If you do not see these, you need to complete the Ethics requirement. (If you see COEN 20191, COEN 20201 or COEN20211, that means you are a new member and that signifies you have completed the requirement.)
- You can also contact CDAR to find out if you’ve completed the requirement. Just give us a call at 760-346-5637 and we will check for you.
- NAR Emeritus members do NOT have to complete the requirement. This only applies to NAR Emeritus, however. All other active REALTOR® members must complete the requirements if they have yet to do so.
- It’s really easy to do. You can take the free class offered above (or link here), you can take any number of classes offered by the California Association of REALTORS®, or you can check with CDAR to see about ethics courses we are holding (availability may vary).